M.O.V.E.




Do you set fitness goals for the week and then feel really good about yourself when you complete them? Or feel even better when you exceed your goals? I think that is pretty typical for most people, and rightfully so because it helps you feel accomplished.

On the flipside, have you ever set those weekly fitness goals and then did not meet them? How did that make you feel?

A little insider on me and my fitness regimen: my goal every week is to workout 6 days of the week with 1 recovery day and run at least 10 miles over the course of the week. Does that always happen?


NO.

Now, I do generally work out 6 days out of the week unless I am deathly ill or injured--generally due to over working my knee. However, I have been struggling making my "run at least 10 miles throughout the week" goal...and I blame it on this bloody awful heat and humidity in Western North Carolina...(bring on the fall, am-i-right?)

I used to really beat myself up about it...I am an active individual, but for some reason my brain tells me that I am not "fit" enough if I do not complete that goal. But you know what? It does not matter...

It doesn't matter if you meet your specific goal of the week as long as you are maintaining consistent physical activity and listening to your body. What do I mean by that? You are active most days of the week and are doing types of exercises you enjoy. If you make yourself run because you think it will make you more fit, then you are doing it for the wrong reason...you should do something you love so you are more likely to continue exercising in the future.

Also, you should feel good after a workout. Now, I am not saying you shouldn't push yourself and sweat...we all need a little nudge to build strength. However, if you don't feel happy and positive after a workout, what is your incentive to repeat that behavior again later?

Below is a chart found on the American Heart Association website that outlines how much movement we should be getting at different intensities per day and week. This week, I challenge you to pick an intensity or combination of recommendations and make that your goal . Then, if you meet or exceed that goal, you know you have met the requirements for healthy cardiovascular health.

Figure found on the American Heart Association website found at http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/PhysicalActivity/American-Heart-Association-Recommendations-for-Physical-Activity-Infographic_UCM_450754_SubHomePage.jsp


Keep in mind that these are the recommendations for good cardiovascular health.  It is recommended that you work on strength training at least 2 days a week. Building muscle won't make you bulky (unless that is your goal), but it will help with posture, metabolic rate, and activities of daily living--just to name a few benefits. 

Regardless if you like running, swimming, dancing, or biking, do what you love and what you can be consistent with. For me, I LOVE running but have been struggling motivating myself to do that as of late...instead, I have been doing livestream Dance2Fit classes with Jessica Bass (interested? check out this link and try the free 7 day trial https://dancefitnesswithjessica.com/livestream/ ). It is a fun way for me to get my heart rate up, burn calories, and MOVE. It also breaks up my normal workout routine, which is nice.

What type of workout will you try this week to break up your usual routine? Let me know!


Until next time...

Happy Chewing! 
Katrina Detter, RD
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
Follow me on Social Media!
Facebook: Live Better with Kat Detter
Instagram: @betterwithkatdetter_rd

Comments

Popular Posts